Went to work. Last week I'd had Alex standing next to the printer feeding single sheets of cardstock while I printed the various tickets for the movie. This week, low and behold, he told me he'd called a printer servicing business locally and is arranging for them to come out and look at it. A mere 90/hour + 15 service call charge. Averaged over the amount of time we've used it, that's practically nothing. Alex is also working to get the BIA doods to permit me to ftp stuff to the server. Printed up 60 more tickets for each of 4 shows. Elders Dinner was an apparent success. Had Cheyenne working on her cartoon when Sabra came in late (she'd been gone with the performance group). She got going on hers, so the project is starting to come together. Sent home progress reports. Worked with the 5th graders in WaHeLut2. Saw Tiff. Um... that's about it I suppose.
Came home, went in Second Life. Reworked a weathervane so it has less prims, for Enjah. Oh yeah - that's what I was going to say. I made the weathervane, then tried to get various people to script it. Jeffrey (who was very busy and was super kind to help me) said it was straightforward, "just use xyb... er I mean xyz." I added the basic code but it made the vane turn just once. I got involved doing something else... then asked Siltar. She took Jeffry's snippet as a lead, and wrote a script that operated by touch and was supposed to operate without touch but just didn't. I put her script into the vane and it got discombobulated, but then I had a flash and realised I needed a p2p joint. Made that but it operated only by touch. I mustered my brain cells (this amazes me as I swear I know nothing about scripting) and decided the time event needed to be specified, so I called it wind_seek and wrote 2 lines of code, put them in the script, and it worked! I dun be flabbergasted. My two lines, inserted in two different spots in the code:
float WIND_SEEK = 6; // 6 seconds
Maybe there's hope for me yet. I may take forever to learn it, I may never be very good at it, but just maybe I'll be able to do little bits of scripting.
Joints are really quirky things. I have to remove the joint and stop the script before I move or do anything to the weathervanes. We had an update on Monday, which left out-of-whack both my weathervanes at Bodega. That was ok. I'm getting the hang of realigning them.
posted by - 6:16 PM