Site Feed

30 July 2010

[09:57] <+V2T_Transcription> V2T transcriptionists provide a translation of the key ideas discussed, NOT a word for word transcription.
[09:58] <+V2T_Transcription> This is similar to sign language transcription.
[09:58] <+V2T_Transcription> This service is brought to you by the V2T transcriptionists of Virtual Ability, Inc. (
[09:58] == LVLustre [] has joined #livetranscript
[09:59] <+V2T_Transcription> Wallace Linden = WL
[09:59] <+V2T_Transcription> BK Linden = BK
[09:59] <+V2T_Transcription> Philip Linden = PL
[10:00] <+V2T_Transcription> WL- Hello. Welcome to SL. It's Wallace Linden with Philip Rosedale our CEO who is Philip Linden.
[10:00] <+V2T_Transcription> BK Linden is our CFO.
[10:00] <+V2T_Transcription> Phliip and BK will talk about where we are and where we are going as a company.
[10:00] <+V2T_Transcription> Please mute your inworld voice.
[10:01] <+V2T_Transcription> we have support staff if anyone needs help, IM Wallace or Pete Linden
[10:01] <+V2T_Transcription> Philip and BK will talk for about 30 minutes.
[10:01] <+V2T_Transcription> Welcome to the Treet TV audience.
[10:01] <+V2T_Transcription> If you have questions, IM Wallace Linden to pass the questions along.
[10:01] <+V2T_Transcription> If you are on the web direct questions to Twitter @SecondLife
[10:01] <+V2T_Transcription> I don't want to take too much time. I'm not the one who is interesting. Philip's turn.
[10:02] <+V2T_Transcription> PL- Thanks for being here. We have live audience, we are in 3 chairs surrounded on 4 sims.
[10:02] <+V2T_Transcription> Let Bob say hello. He's been instrumental in my coming back to LL. We've teamed up to run the company. Bob is a super star.
[10:02] <+V2T_Transcription> His skills are vast.
[10:02] <+V2T_Transcription> He was the prior CFO. He's great to work with. We are a team. We talk at the same time.
[10:03] <+V2T_Transcription> That is the format we will take here.
[10:03] <+V2T_Transcription> Bob will interject.
[10:03] <+V2T_Transcription> Then we will get to questions.
[10:03] <+V2T_Transcription> BK- I"m thrilled to be here. I've been at LL for 6 months + 1 week.
[10:03] <+V2T_Transcription> I am thrilled to work with Philip.
[10:03] <+V2T_Transcription> This is the first time I've met with the community. I look forward to the dialog.
[10:04] <+V2T_Transcription> PL- Three parts: opening, then conversation and Q/A
[10:04] <+V2T_Transcription> introd, then what we're going to do at LL, then Q&A
[10:04] <+V2T_Transcription> We will speak to blog posts too.
[10:04] <+V2T_Transcription> Why am I back?
[10:04] <+V2T_Transcription> I read something, a media post, I don't know where.
[10:05] <+V2T_Transcription> It said that was inspiring...the article is neutral... SL isn't growing but it won't grow away. It keeps on coming.
[10:05] <+V2T_Transcription> Media had said it was flash in the pan, big in 2006, where are they today?
[10:05] <+V2T_Transcription> The reality is it doesn't go away.
[10:05] <+V2T_Transcription> That's why I'm here.
[10:05] <+V2T_Transcription> I believe SL and VWs will profoundly positively affect people.
[10:05] <+V2T_Transcription> That is the mission of the company. That is my dream.
[10:05] <+V2T_Transcription> We face many challenges as a company and commmunity.
[10:05] == kenk [kenk@] has joined #livetranscript
[10:06] <+V2T_Transcription> I want to start by saying nothing I've seen has done anything but strengthen the fundamental vision
[10:06] == lannewise [] has joined #livetranscript
[10:06] <+V2T_Transcription> VWs will have a huge impact on humanity.
[10:06] <+V2T_Transcription> I think I can come back and help us grow to that vision.
[10:06] <+V2T_Transcription> I think I can help with that.
[10:06] <+V2T_Transcription> I watch SL, I receive stories, that make me feel this is happening.
[10:06] <+V2T_Transcription> I profoundly believe in this thing.
[10:06] == YouriAshton [YouriAshto@] has joined #livetranscript
[10:06] <+V2T_Transcription> I will help however I can.
[10:07] == OliverSzondi [] has joined #livetranscript
[10:07] <+V2T_Transcription> I want to improve basic user experience.
[10:07] <+V2T_Transcription> Tear down walls between SL and it's potential and more and better use.
[10:07] <+V2T_Transcription> That was in the first blog post.
[10:07] == Sophie [] has joined #livetranscript
[10:07] <+V2T_Transcription> The description is more apt now than when I first said it.
[10:07] == mode/#livetranscript [+o Sophie] by TreetBot
[10:07] == BunnyHunter [BunnyHunte@] has joined #livetranscript
[10:07] <+V2T_Transcription> It's important that we pull back and fix basic capabilities.
[10:07] <+V2T_Transcription> It's an accurate description.
[10:07] <+V2T_Transcription> Let me tell about our internal plan.
[10:07] <+V2T_Transcription> we have a 1 slide plan.
[10:07] <+V2T_Transcription> We are about 250 people in the company.
[10:08] <+V2T_Transcription> What is our single set of statements we can all memorize and organize our work around?
[10:08] <+V2T_Transcription> What can we do to make a statement about direction that is clear.
[10:08] <+V2T_Transcription> I want to share what we came up with iteratively.
[10:08] <+V2T_Transcription> We have videos of the whole company refining it.
[10:08] <+V2T_Transcription> Imagine this.
[10:08] <+V2T_Transcription> The first is there are 3 words at the top about our strategy
[10:08] <+V2T_Transcription> fast
[10:08] <+V2T_Transcription> easy
[10:08] <+V2T_Transcription> fun
[10:08] <+V2T_Transcription> The idea is that these 3 words capture what SL should and can be for users.
[10:09] <+V2T_Transcription> We've all had those moments.
[10:09] <+V2T_Transcription> In many areas we're lacking one of more of these.
[10:09] <+V2T_Transcription> User experience isn't living up to all 3.
[10:09] <+V2T_Transcription> We need to hit them all.
[10:09] <+V2T_Transcription> Look at basic product experience, make it fast, easy, fun.
[10:09] <+V2T_Transcription> VWs are magical
[10:09] <+V2T_Transcription> We want people to take the baby steps to bring them in
[10:09] <+V2T_Transcription> Under the 3 words are 3 bullets, focus areas now
[10:09] <+V2T_Transcription> back to basics
[10:09] <+V2T_Transcription> winning back the lead
[10:10] <+V2T_Transcription> all about growing virtual content economy
[10:10] <+V2T_Transcription> Back to basics- What does that mean to us?
[10:10] <+V2T_Transcription> in the next 2 quarters or 3, intense focus on crashing and lag.
[10:10] <+V2T_Transcription> These are complicated.
[10:10] <+V2T_Transcription> Crashing has heaviest impact from viewer and simulator crashing. There are many types of crashes
[10:10] <+V2T_Transcription> These halt the experience.
[10:11] <+V2T_Transcription> We will work til V2.1 crash rate is lower than 1.23 which is the more heavily used viewer. 1.23 is the basis for many 3rd party

[10:11] <+V2T_Transcription> We dropped the rate by 12%
[10:11] <+V2T_Transcription> effect on people is greater than that
[10:11] <+V2T_Transcription> we can move rapidly in that direction
[10:11] <+V2T_Transcription> We will do that with V2.1 and set a target goal
[10:12] <+V2T_Transcription> Our incremental process will cause us to atttack it week by week to be lower than 1.23
[10:12] <+V2T_Transcription> Simulators are also crashing.
[10:12] <+V2T_Transcription> we will reduce the impact of crashes and halts of simulators.
[10:12] <+V2T_Transcription> There are other things we need to do to viewer beyond crash rates.
[10:12] <+V2T_Transcription> Lag is a big word. It is a lot of behaviors and parts of the system.
[10:12] <+V2T_Transcription> Client and server frame rates
[10:12] <+V2T_Transcription> delays on entering a new situation
[10:12] <+V2T_Transcription> delays in features like chat
[10:13] <+V2T_Transcription> lag is also problems with many people in same area
[10:13] <+V2T_Transcription> you experience that in simulator and in client
[10:13] <+V2T_Transcription> we are attacking that
[10:13] <+V2T_Transcription> We will have performance improvements, system changes, ways you experience the world.
[10:13] <+V2T_Transcription> We aren't just going to address one thing.
[10:13] <+V2T_Transcription> Next week we will have faster delivery of textures.
[10:13] <+V2T_Transcription> That's a down payment on aggressive focus on lag.
[10:14] <+V2T_Transcription> Will make environments load faster.
[10:14] <+V2T_Transcription> Textures are 60% of data when we load a new scene.
[10:14] <+V2T_Transcription> We will rearchitect chat and group chat to separate from simulator functions
[10:14] <+V2T_Transcription> We need low latency
[10:14] <+V2T_Transcription> That's about back to basics.
[10:14] <+V2T_Transcription> We have been great about solving hard technical problems for experiencing VWs.
[10:14] <+V2T_Transcription> Much of the magic here is resident created.
[10:15] <+V2T_Transcription> From LL side, it's software that addresses technical problems in putting many people into a digital world built by them.
[10:15] <+V2T_Transcription> We as a company feel, and there's evidence, we've fallen behind the lead on these technical changes.
[10:15] <+V2T_Transcription> We need to get back in the lead.
[10:15] <+V2T_Transcription> Since we have so many things we need to do, hard tech problems to solve, so many challenges, we need to increase iteration

[10:15] <+V2T_Transcription> Ability to get community feedback.
[10:16] <+V2T_Transcription> We need to shorten release cycles.
[10:16] <+V2T_Transcription> Industry best practice is short release cycles and build practice around doing that well.
[10:16] <+V2T_Transcription> Iterate, make safe changes, have high quality iterative step in short time, get lots of feedback.
[10:16] <+V2T_Transcription> We will make profound changes throughout the company.
[10:16] <+V2T_Transcription> we will change all systems to allow rapid iteration
[10:16] <+V2T_Transcription> include open process to debate with community
[10:17] <+V2T_Transcription> and within the Lab
[10:17] <+V2T_Transcription> and a short release cycle
[10:17] <+V2T_Transcription> We will shift to openly developing the code
[10:17] <+V2T_Transcription> source code will always be visible as we work on the product
[10:17] <+V2T_Transcription> ** He is pausing to check audio.
[10:17] == sitearm_ [] has joined #livetranscript
[10:17] <+V2T_Transcription> The second area of focus in getting back into lead is Viewer 2.
[10:17] <+V2T_Transcription> It is a big challenge.
[10:18] <+V2T_Transcription> We want to show how capable we are
[10:18] <+V2T_Transcription> V2 will be at the center of this.
[10:18] <+V2T_Transcription> Many are frustrated with it. I apologize for the frustration
[10:18] <+V2T_Transcription> release of 2.0 seems to have created a product that doesn't completely satisfy needs of any user group
[10:18] <+V2T_Transcription> not new users, not existing user
[10:18] == Lena [Lena@] has joined #livetranscript
[10:18] <+V2T_Transcription> We are in a tough place.
[10:18] <+V2T_Transcription> With V2, it does contain several big advances
[10:18] <+V2T_Transcription> better rendering
[10:19] <+V2T_Transcription> shared media
[10:19] == Alexia [] has joined #livetranscript
[10:19] <+V2T_Transcription> We don't want to lose access to those tech features.
[10:19] <+V2T_Transcription> We want to make it work for everyone.
[10:19] <+V2T_Transcription> We will focus on making that code base have better performance than anything else we've built.
[10:19] <+V2T_Transcription> we will engage with you differently
[10:19] <+V2T_Transcription> to get us to rapidly iterate
[10:19] <+V2T_Transcription> to address and add capabilities
[10:19] <+V2T_Transcription> so everyone can depend on the viewer
[10:20] <+V2T_Transcription> You will see more notices from product teams.
[10:20] <+V2T_Transcription> we will invite open source community and user community to assist us in production of the viewer
[10:20] <+V2T_Transcription> We will bring community development resources into a short iteration loop
[10:20] <+V2T_Transcription> that will affect main line viewer
[10:20] <+V2T_Transcription> It will affect the viewer, that's a challenge as we win back the tech lead.
[10:20] <+V2T_Transcription> We want it to be the most commonly used viewer.
[10:20] <+V2T_Transcription> We can take comments on this in questions.
[10:21] <+V2T_Transcription> The concept of the biggest economy.
[10:21] <+V2T_Transcription> The virtual economy, not that SL is only about people making money.
[10:21] <+V2T_Transcription> It's not all about selling.
[10:21] <+V2T_Transcription> Fundamentally, SL is a system where we create virtual content and experience it together.
[10:21] <+V2T_Transcription> Success of world builders is the key driver.
[10:21] <+V2T_Transcription> it's beyond the software and tech
[10:21] <+V2T_Transcription> We need you to build world and create content.
[10:21] <+V2T_Transcription> it's hard to measure the success
[10:22] <+V2T_Transcription> One way, we need simple ways to measure progress, is to look at scale of user to user economic transactions.
[10:22] <+V2T_Transcription> Drill down to transactions in market place.
[10:22] <+V2T_Transcription> IT's a top level view even if it's not all about making money.
[10:22] <+V2T_Transcription> if we add a new capability, like mesh, you can ask, is it useful for everyone?
[10:22] <+V2T_Transcription> Look at the economy.
[10:22] <+V2T_Transcription> Some people will use it economically.
[10:23] <+V2T_Transcription> We can tell if we are doing good work by focusing on success of economy.
[10:23] <+V2T_Transcription> This will drive our efforts.
[10:23] <+V2T_Transcription> We will set up many needles around that.
[10:23] <+V2T_Transcription> To watch the success of virtual content creators.
[10:23] == Aztral [] has joined #livetranscript
[10:23] <+V2T_Transcription> Near term we will optimize the process by which we try find buy content we consume
[10:23] <+V2T_Transcription> We need to make change here
[10:23] <+V2T_Transcription> Search needs to work well.
[10:23] <+V2T_Transcription> This is from the blogs.
[10:23] <+V2T_Transcription> We've worked on that. We've increased the size of the search team.
[10:23] <+V2T_Transcription> We need to make the process of using content trivial.
[10:24] <+V2T_Transcription> People won't buy goods if they have to find a sandbox to extract the contents and try it on to put on a pair of shoes.
[10:24] <+V2T_Transcription> We will attack that problem head on.
[10:24] <+V2T_Transcription> We will look at economic metrics to measure success.
[10:24] <+V2T_Transcription> we will shift how new users will come into SL
[10:24] <+V2T_Transcription> We will bring them into your locations.
[10:24] <+V2T_Transcription> We will circumvent the welcome area process
[10:25] <+V2T_Transcription> this makes sense because of what is happening in world and our experiments
[10:25] <+V2T_Transcription> there is a lot of content new users can access right now
[10:25] <+V2T_Transcription> it's not about learning the interface
[10:25] <+V2T_Transcription> it's about getting them to people and experiences beyond welcome
[10:25] <+V2T_Transcription> a link to Destination Guide or search on the web should be the starting point for new users
[10:26] <+V2T_Transcription> There will be changes in weeks to welcome islands, community gateways, that will be consistent with this.
[10:26] <+V2T_Transcription> Those 3 basics are our plan.
[10:26] <+V2T_Transcription> we are applying across the board as a filter.
[10:26] <+V2T_Transcription> does what we do fit with this plan?
[10:26] <+V2T_Transcription> we apply to everything we do
[10:26] <+V2T_Transcription> An example that speaks to a broad point, SL Enterprise, we don't know who is using SL.
[10:26] == Mistymay [Mistymay@] has joined #livetranscript
[10:26] <+V2T_Transcription> We think it is used by educators, those casual users, by people at work.
[10:27] <+V2T_Transcription> What we do with SLE is we're working toward focus on core user experience that affects all users.
[10:27] <+V2T_Transcription> Educators and business are affected by lag, we have to hit those first
[10:27] <+V2T_Transcription> We're stopping work on things that don't impact all users.
[10:27] <+V2T_Transcription> In SLE, we're not trying to move away from use at work, but we aren't going to work on deploy behind fire wall.
[10:27] <+V2T_Transcription> We will work to support them on the main grid.
[10:28] == jbhancroft [] has joined #livetranscript
[10:28] == Latif [] has joined #livetranscript
[10:28] <+V2T_Transcription> Let me respond to threads in blogs and emails before we address questions.
[10:28] == Maddy [] has joined #livetranscript
[10:28] <+V2T_Transcription> There are a ton of responses to blogs. I've read most of them. I receive emails, and I like them.
[10:28] <+V2T_Transcription> Emails are carefully crafted.
[10:28] <+V2T_Transcription> I can't read everything, but I read a lot.
[10:28] <+V2T_Transcription> Looking through those threads, what do we mean by economy?
[10:28] <+V2T_Transcription> We mean overall, not just land sales or XStreet.
[10:29] <+V2T_Transcription> We need to enhance 2D web based shopping experience.
[10:29] <+V2T_Transcription> You have to optimize finding content in every possible vector.
[10:29] <+V2T_Transcription> Web based shopping metaphor for SL will have impact
[10:29] <+V2T_Transcription> The same changes with RL stores and online shopping is the same issue.
[10:29] <+V2T_Transcription> These things complement each other
[10:29] <+V2T_Transcription> 2D and 3D can complement each other.
[10:29] <+V2T_Transcription> Search- People are frustrated with Search.
[10:30] <+V2T_Transcription> It is an incredibly complicated topic.
[10:30] <+V2T_Transcription> There are concerns and opportunities.
[10:30] <+V2T_Transcription> We have a bunch of new smart people who focus on that day to day.
[10:30] <+V2T_Transcription> We will change it day to day and week to week
[10:30] == Marc_ [] has joined #livetranscript
[10:30] == sitearm_ [] has quit [Quit: Page closed]
[10:30] <+V2T_Transcription> We want to balance needs of content creators, merchants, and consumers.
[10:30] == sitearm_ [] has joined #livetranscript
[10:30] <+V2T_Transcription> We need to be careful to maximize economy, success of creators and sellers.
[10:30] <+V2T_Transcription> Region crossing is an impactor of sim performance.
[10:31] <+V2T_Transcription> We have a SCRUM team working on this.
[10:31] <+V2T_Transcription> I want to sail a boat through SL, and TP to busy events.
[10:31] <+V2T_Transcription> We've shifted resources to focus there.
[10:31] <+V2T_Transcription> What's happening with mesh?
[10:31] <+V2T_Transcription> We are excited about its potential in VWs.
[10:31] <+V2T_Transcription> Applying filter of what we are thinking about now, we want to implement it so it has impact, but not negative on frame rate and rez

[10:32] <+V2T_Transcription> We are working with beta users to be sure it doesn't slow down experience.
[10:32] <+V2T_Transcription> I have received messages about accessibility for the disabled.
[10:32] <+V2T_Transcription> There is a benefit to have SL work for that community.
[10:32] <+V2T_Transcription> It will be put on our agenda.
[10:32] <+V2T_Transcription> I
[10:32] == Yay [] has joined #livetranscript
[10:32] <+V2T_Transcription> Open Source developers help here too.
[10:32] == Yay [] has left #livetranscript []
[10:32] <+V2T_Transcription> A comic aside- I will do a makeover for my avatar.
[10:33] <+V2T_Transcription> I am not a good advertisement for content creators of skins and clothing. This is my alter ego.
[10:33] <+V2T_Transcription> I am careful about changes.
[10:33] <+V2T_Transcription> Let me shift to Bob for closing comments before Q&A
[10:33] <+V2T_Transcription> BK- Philip you did a great job summarizing issues.
[10:34] <+V2T_Transcription> As we work together, this is Philip's creation, passion, vision.
[10:34] <+V2T_Transcription> Those are the driving forces.
[10:34] <+V2T_Transcription> We also have to, and I complement him, there are many things going on day to day in producing and deploying software.
[10:34] <+V2T_Transcription> Operations of company, my focus is improvement here.
[10:34] == jdives [] has joined #livetranscript
[10:34] <+V2T_Transcription> We pair up and work on how to do this all effectively.
[10:34] <+V2T_Transcription> WL- Thanks Bob, Philip, those listening.
[10:35] <+V2T_Transcription> I've never moderated and I'm impressed by the questions.
[10:35] <+V2T_Transcription> A question for Philip that people have been asking about in the first half of this year: We're happy you're back. Can you go back to

the original version of SL? It's not Facebook. what can you say about that?
[10:36] <+V2T_Transcription> PL- We need to recognize that SL is not a social network like Facebook is.
[10:36] <+V2T_Transcription> That is a good comment about our direction.
[10:36] <+V2T_Transcription> That is true.
[10:36] <+V2T_Transcription> SL is an immersive high-presence, profound impactful experience.
[10:36] <+V2T_Transcription> You submerge yourself.
[10:36] <+V2T_Transcription> Our focus will be to maximize quality and completeness of the experience.
[10:37] <+V2T_Transcription> RE: social networking, we need to enable people to connect with each other
[10:37] <+V2T_Transcription> bring people into SL
[10:37] <+V2T_Transcription> Bob and I were talking about iterative approach. User growth, new people coming in, we need to make that happen regularly. That is

part of the feedback loop that we're doing the right work.
[10:37] <+V2T_Transcription> People look at social efforts, acquisition, as unnecessary. Why not work on the system?
[10:38] <+V2T_Transcription> We need to get the million + 1 person to tell us we are doing well.
[10:38] <+V2T_Transcription> WL- Questions about the roadmap from 2 angles.
[10:38] == null [null@] has joined #livetranscript
[10:38] <+V2T_Transcription> Specific features that feed into fast easy fun direction.
[10:38] == AlexShep [AlexShep@] has joined #livetranscript
[10:38] <+V2T_Transcription> Are there things like SLE that we will hear, and when will we hear about that?
[10:38] <+V2T_Transcription> PL- Strategy message I won't give specific SL changes right now on our product backlog.
[10:39] == Eme [] has joined #livetranscript
[10:39] <+V2T_Transcription> I will say that as Bob said we will enage in bidirectional conversation with community as we move forward.
[10:39] <+V2T_Transcription> We will lead with messaging like this
[10:39] <+V2T_Transcription> Then product leadership and teams will message to you directly about what they are doing.
[10:39] <+V2T_Transcription> You will see that coming next week and later.
[10:39] <+V2T_Transcription> Watch for specific messages.
[10:39] <+V2T_Transcription> Bob and I can't success at scale of SL today by announcing and micromanaging the work.
[10:40] <+V2T_Transcription> WL- Thanks. I am juggling lots of questions.
[10:40] <+V2T_Transcription> A vision question- If you were to do it over, what would you do differently?
[10:40] <+V2T_Transcription> PL- I've been asked that a lot.
[10:40] <+V2T_Transcription> There are lots of things like that.
[10:40] <+V2T_Transcription> An observation about the system, given the complexity of SL, it's hard to say what the effect would be of doing things differently. It's

the butterfly effect.
[10:41] <+V2T_Transcription> It's hard to say. We've done many things well.
[10:41] <+V2T_Transcription> To deliver highest quality and completeness before moving on.
[10:41] <+V2T_Transcription> We should ask if it works for everyone. Are we done? If we'd said "no" internally, it would have been easier to fix things then.
[10:41] <+V2T_Transcription> I would have done that differently.
[10:42] <+V2T_Transcription> WL- Question about what goes on inworld. The direction of fast easy fun.
[10:42] <+V2T_Transcription> Doesn't fast easy fun miss a sense of meaning, that sets SL apart from other social media and other 3D worlds?
[10:42] <+V2T_Transcription> PL- That's a fair point.
[10:42] <+V2T_Transcription> This is our company's effort over the next few quarters.
[10:42] <+V2T_Transcription> We won't change nature of product or depth of experience in SL.
[10:42] <+V2T_Transcription> We haven't been able to message a terse characterization of what we are doing.
[10:43] <+V2T_Transcription> People worry about our statements mean we will change the capability set of SL
[10:43] <+V2T_Transcription> We won't
[10:43] <+V2T_Transcription> Fast easy fun relates to doing things as a new or existing user.
[10:43] <+V2T_Transcription> Do we need group chat to make things work well? Are these features fast easy fun now?
[10:43] <+V2T_Transcription> it's not
[10:43] <+V2T_Transcription> we don't want to change depth of system
[10:43] <+V2T_Transcription> we want to make system fast easy fun
[10:44] == null [null@] has quit [Quit: Page closed]
[10:44] == Maddy [] has left #livetranscript []
[10:44] <+V2T_Transcription> we won't subtract capabilities but add speed and elegance to what is there
[10:44] <+V2T_Transcription> WL- I think we've addressed this at high level. There were a couple of questions about plans to make SL into a multiplatform

[10:44] <+V2T_Transcription> Will we access from mobile device?
[10:45] <+V2T_Transcription> PL- SL is at its core a special deep 3D immersive experience that is different than anything else on the web
[10:45] <+V2T_Transcription> When we think about expanding to browser and mobile platforms, you need to take this experience to those platforms.
[10:45] <+V2T_Transcription> Browser 3D experience is coming in a few years.
[10:45] <+V2T_Transcription> It is difficult to make a 3D immersive experience in a browser in the near term.
[10:46] <+V2T_Transcription> we have a couple of people looking at how that will happen in the future
[10:46] == jdives [] has quit [Quit: Page closed]
[10:46] <+V2T_Transcription> Now we will make the existing platform, client, server work well
[10:46] <+V2T_Transcription> Same goes for mobile.
[10:46] <+V2T_Transcription> Mobile platforms haven't shown us how to deliver the immersive experience.
[10:47] == Marc_ [] has left #livetranscript []
[10:47] <+V2T_Transcription> WL- To take this further, how will fast easy fun benefit speciic communities like education, business, handicapped?
[10:47] <+V2T_Transcription> PL- Our goal is to look at core improvement that will affect all users roughly equivalently.
[10:48] <+V2T_Transcription> For educators, there are many who have done amazing things, but not successful at getting other teachers to come in. It's hard for

them to log in for the first time to get to that point of capability.
[10:48] <+V2T_Transcription> That is an example of how making new user experience fast easy fun will benefit all communities.
[10:48] <+V2T_Transcription> All communities are impacted by new user experiences.
[10:48] <+V2T_Transcription> we want to facilitate everyone on the main grid- educators, business, content developers, consumers
[10:48] == Mouse [Mouse@] has joined #livetranscript
[10:48] <+V2T_Transcription> If that challenges our feature set, you will see us doing that.
[10:49] == Ceorl [] has joined #livetranscript
[10:49] <+V2T_Transcription> WL- There is a community that wants to know about fast easy fun for market place. The new market place.
[10:49] <+V2T_Transcription> For those doing business in SL. Can you talk about the roadmap?
[10:50] <+V2T_Transcription> PL- If you find and buy content, it's desireable to try it. If you want to wear/build/use in world, it is difficult. The way it is delivered to

inventory is difficult.
[10:50] <+V2T_Transcription> Shopping at end stage you can't actually get the content into world onto avatar in a fun way.
[10:50] <+V2T_Transcription> That is an example.
[10:50] <+V2T_Transcription> WL- There is an interesting personal question for Philip.
[10:50] <+V2T_Transcription> What blogs do you read on a daily basis.
[10:50] <+V2T_Transcription> PL- There is so much info generated, that's hard to answer.
[10:50] <+V2T_Transcription> Long ago I used to look at slash dot.
[10:51] <+V2T_Transcription> As we became more mainstream, I looked at the more popular ones. I don't want to name one. I enjoy reading or am helped by

reading many blogs.
[10:51] <+V2T_Transcription> There are top level news stories that are a summary by someone not in SL regularly.
[10:51] <+V2T_Transcription> I am heads down on product, how we make things work better.
[10:51] <+V2T_Transcription> Mostly, we know what the strategy is.
[10:51] <+V2T_Transcription> I don't know how much reading news helps me.
[10:52] <+V2T_Transcription> I am more biased to keep your head down and stay on target.
[10:52] <+V2T_Transcription> WL- I want to pass that question to you also.
[10:52] <+V2T_Transcription> BK- I am similar to Philip. There is so much going on, I have my head down a lot.
[10:52] <+V2T_Transcription> I read broad tech publications.
[10:52] <+V2T_Transcription> Tech Crunch to social networking to what's going on in mobile tech space
[10:52] <+V2T_Transcription> to stay up to speed on it all
[10:53] <+V2T_Transcription> I find that spending time in LL working on issues and time with my young family, several children, I don't spend as much time on

those things as I'd like to.
[10:53] <+V2T_Transcription> WL- A question I'd meant to weave in about Open Source and how it will be factored into the Lab strategy.
[10:53] == Eme [] has quit [Quit: Page closed]
[10:53] <+V2T_Transcription> PL- Let me answer and combine with thread in local audience text.
[10:54] == Lev [] has quit [Quit: Page closed]
[10:54] <+V2T_Transcription> On the open source side, we will focus on focusing on things we need done in production viewer.
[10:54] <+V2T_Transcription> You will see details shortly.
[10:54] <+V2T_Transcription> The call to action will change the way we interact with open source community to focus on improving 2.1 client.
[10:54] <+V2T_Transcription> We will increase impact of open source work
[10:54] == Lev [] has quit [Quit: Page closed]
[10:54] <+V2T_Transcription> On the open source side, we will focus on focusing on things we need done in production viewer.
[10:54] <+V2T_Transcription> You will see details shortly.
[10:54] <+V2T_Transcription> The call to action will change the way we interact with open source community to focus on improving 2.1 client.
[10:54] <+V2T_Transcription> We will increase impact of open source work
[10:54] <+V2T_Transcription> A piece will be our efforts to create infrastructure
[10:55] <+V2T_Transcription> We hope community will work with us.
[10:55] == Mistymay [Mistymay@] has quit [Ping timeout: 180 seconds]
[10:55] <+V2T_Transcription> I hadn't commented on making V2 work for new users
[10:55] <+V2T_Transcription> and experienced users
[10:55] <+V2T_Transcription> this is a binary split
[10:55] <+V2T_Transcription> When you are in build mode your needs are different than a new user.
[10:56] <+V2T_Transcription> we are thinking about how to iterate week to week to add capabilities for power builders and separate them from capabilities needed by first time user who needs to get clothes on and walk around
[10:56] <+V2T_Transcription> The user experience is different, and may be separable.
[10:56] <+V2T_Transcription> We aren't going to create a single inbetween user experience that works for both.
[10:56] <+V2T_Transcription> I don't think that's possible
[10:56] <+V2T_Transcription> We aren't going to build 2 different code bases. That is too costly.
[10:56] <+V2T_Transcription> We can move faster with a shared code base.
[10:57] <+V2T_Transcription> WL- One last question. Happy Philip is back. Are you back for the long term?
[10:57] <+V2T_Transcription> PL- I am interim CEO. The management is completely focused on putting our heads into product/user experience challenges.
[10:57] <+V2T_Transcription> To get SL headed in the right direction.
[10:57] <+V2T_Transcription> We've not begun the process of selecting the long term CEO.
[10:57] <+V2T_Transcription> I am here full time and enjoy my work here.
[10:58] == LVLustre [] has quit [Quit: Page closed]
[10:58] <+V2T_Transcription> WL- Thanks. There have been a lot of questions about specifics of road map. You will hear more from product leads.
[10:58] == Mistymay [Mistymay@] has joined #livetranscript
[10:58] <+V2T_Transcription> Look for blog posts.
[10:58] <+V2T_Transcription> Philip, what are we looking for from residents?
[10:58] <+V2T_Transcription> PL- This is the beginning of an enhanced conversation. A search for the right way to be highly interactive and communicative bidirectionally.
[10:58] <+V2T_Transcription> This type of forum can't be sufficient.
[10:59] <+V2T_Transcription> It is timely and necessary.
[10:59] <+V2T_Transcription> We will look at all ways to communicate with SL users to help us work better.
[10:59] <+V2T_Transcription> We will have follow up conversations and interviews.
[10:59] <+V2T_Transcription> Send us ideas.
[10:59] <+V2T_Transcription> This format is great but doesn't address all interactions we'd like to have.
[10:59] <+V2T_Transcription> I can't sit here for 8 hours and talk to people individually
[10:59] <+V2T_Transcription> We need to balance outreach with time spent.
[11:00] <+V2T_Transcription> I don't have 8 hours free. We all have fundamental limit of time.
[11:00] == Mryva [] has joined #livetranscript
[11:00] <+V2T_Transcription> I spend time other than this communication process. But we will do more in that direction.
[11:00] <+V2T_Transcription> WL- Thanks to Philip and Bk and everyone inworld.
[11:00] <+V2T_Transcription> We will call it a meeting and see you next time.

posted by - 11:01 AM


Post a Comment




Site Feed



firemist red

Combat Cards

Blip TV Rocks

So many things to do, so little motivation

Backpacking Burro

Salazar Jack

Lucy Sits Up and Blogs

Tina's Universum

Nova Albion Detective Agency

Playing Statues

Yarn Miracle


Don Carson Creative

Flummer, Flummel, Flummo

Elle Coyote

Painting Soul

Upload Video and Images - Putfile

Artists Union


2002-10 2002-11 2002-12 2003-01 2003-03 2003-04 2003-05 2003-06 2003-07 2003-08 2003-09 2003-10 2003-11 2003-12 2004-01 2004-02 2004-03 2004-04 2004-05 2004-06 2004-07 2004-08 2004-09 2004-10 2004-11 2004-12 2005-01 2005-02 2005-03 2005-04 2005-05 2005-06 2005-07 2005-08 2005-09 2005-10 2005-11 2005-12 2006-01 2006-02 2006-03 2006-04 2006-05 2006-06 2006-07 2006-08 2006-09 2006-10 2006-11 2006-12 2007-01 2007-02 2007-03 2007-04 2007-05 2007-06 2007-07 2007-08 2007-09 2007-10 2007-11 2007-12 2008-01 2008-02 2008-03 2008-04 2008-05 2008-06 2008-07 2008-08 2008-09 2008-10 2008-11 2008-12 2009-01 2009-02 2009-03 2009-04 2009-05 2009-06 2009-07 2009-08 2009-09 2009-10 2009-11 2009-12 2010-01 2010-02 2010-03 2010-04 2010-05 2010-06 2010-07 2010-08 2010-09 2010-10 2010-11 2010-12 2011-01 2011-02 2011-03 2011-04 2011-05 2011-06 2011-07 2011-08 2011-09 2011-10 2011-11 2011-12 2012-01 2012-02 2012-03 2012-04 2012-05 2012-06 2012-07 2012-08 2012-09 2012-10 2012-11 2012-12 2013-01 2013-02 2013-03 2013-04 2013-05 2013-06 2013-07 2013-08 2013-09 2013-10 2013-11

I want to ask for thoughts about improving the world -- what do people need? How can things be organised?